LASIK eye surgery, developed by a Greek eye surgeon in the early 1990s, is the most common form of eye surgery today, and nearly 600,000 Americans have this type of surgery each year. LASIK surgery corrects myopia (
1. Improves your vision. Of course, the most compelling reason to undergo LASIK eye surgery is that in the vast majority of cases, it improves the patient's vision. Approximately 96 percent of LASIK patients report improved vision after surgery. That means you'll rely less on eyeglasses (and save money on eye glasses) and have better peripheral vision, making it safer to drive and walk.
2. Lasts for a long time. LASIK eye surgery yields permanent and immediate results. There's no need for follow-up procedures. In most cases, only normal aging or illness will change the results.
3. Has a quick recovery period. LASIK eye surgery is done as an outpatient procedure, and most people can return to their normal routine within one or two days.
4. Harbors fewer allergy symptoms and eye irritants. Contacts can trap allergens and dirt particles between the lens and your eye, making you more susceptible to allergies and increasing your discomfort. After LASIK surgery, you can get rid of those pesky contact lenses.
5. Improves night vision. LASIK
6. Causes very little pain. Most patients report LASIK surgery to be almost painless, due to the numbing eye drops that the surgeon administers prior to the procedure.
7. No bandages and stitches are required. Unlike most other types of surgery, there are no bandages or stitches required with LASIK surgery.
8. Is not considered a cosmetic surgery. Because LASIK surgery actually improves the function of the eye, this type of eye surgery is not considered a cosmetic procedure. The fact that you can get rid of your glasses is just a side benefit. Not being considered a cosmetic procedure means that most insurance plans will cover LASIK surgery, where they won't cover procedures like eye lifts.
While LASIK eye surgery is not necessarily the right option for everyone with vision problems, this type of surgery is likely to vastly improve your vision, give you back your peripheral vision, eliminate the allergens and eye irritants that can become trapped behind contact lenses and offer long-lasting results. Click to find out more about the eyes.Share